Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Adventures in curry making

To be short, it didn't taste like anything I wanted.  Whoops.  That's not to say that it came out terrible - it came out edible, and a little tasty.  I ended up bouncing between two different recipes I found on two different Paleo sites and I think that may have contributed to the watery taste of the curry.  I also think I think fish sauce, which I don't have in the pantry yet.  I made cauliflower rice for the first time as well and it came out better than I expected.  I'm not a huge fan of cauliflower, and I was apprehensive when I tore open the packaging - but what do you know, it's just like broccoli.  It took about 5 seconds in the food processor and two minutes in the microwave and bam, a rice like substance.  I did chicken and squash in a different pan (I would have used more veggies, but all we had was squash) and threw cumin, coriander, salt, and some curry blend I had hiding in my spices into the curry to try and draw out more taste.  It worked alright.

And then I made a smoothie out of coconut milk, strawberries, almond butter, and a tiny bit of cocoa.  I'm having one of those a day lately, but I need my sweet fix.  On the days I don't have that, I usually have Starbucks.  There are so many versions of Paleo out there that it's hard accept one definition; some people even do cheese and corn, which we don't do.  Starbucks is my vice, and I get an iced coffee with heavy whipping cream.  I miss chai like crazy.

We haven't been eating as much as we used to - part of it is that our food is filling, and another part is that we've been busy with people over all the time eating all our food.  That's not bad!  We've had guests over, and we have someone staying with us for a few days now and he'll be here another couple of weeks.  I don't mind having people over to eat with us; I actually enjoy it, because I can try cooking things and get feedback (cleaning up sucks but what can you do?).  But it depletes our food very fast and when we get hungry at night and we're tired, we'll just go to bed instead of fire up the grill.  We had sugar free turkey that was keeping us good but we couldn't it find it the last time we went shopping.

I'm still unsure of what to say about Paleo, or this lifestyle we're trying out.  We had a cheat meal on Monday - Danny chose a fast-food Mexican place and I chose Jack in the Box, from which I got jalapeño poppers, fries, tacos, and a shake.  I was so excited about the jalapeño poppers, because I've been dreaming of them every time I go by a Jack in the Box.  To my great dismay, they weren't as tasty as I was hoping for.  Even the tacos weren't.  The fries were alright, but only with ranch.  The only part of the meal I wasn't super disappointed with was my shake, but I have a crazy sweet tooth, so that makes sense. Damn that shake was great.  Ice cream is great.  Nobody can tell me otherwise.

Anyway, Danny was also not into his meal, and we both felt bad afterward.  It was definitely an enlightening experience.  It's the first time I've felt the direct correlation of eating bad food to feeling bad so starkly.

I'm not sure where I was going with this.  Food is important.  I wish my curry had come out better. I miss ice cream.  That about sums it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment